I’ve been on a bit of a US Civil War binge of late. I’ve been reading Mark Twain’s classic antebellum era fiction ‘Adventures of Huckleberry Finn’ and also making my way through Ken Burns’ ‘The Civil War’ - all 13 hours of it.
- The doc. is cut together using 10,000 odd images and despite what you might is pretty gripping.
- Expect heavy use of the Ken Burns effect.
- The Civil War saw the worlds first progressive income tax.
- The North had the largest standing army in the world at the time.
- Lincoln came incredibly close to losing his second general election.
- The language of Huck Finn is superb - ‘flapdoodle’
- I long to find a time when I might be as ‘comfortable’ as Huck is on his raft.